photo the-eye-1.png photo instagram-67.png photo bloglovin-43.png photo pinterest-85.png photo tumblr-5.png



 photo eye-on-fashion.png photo eye-on-design.png photo all-eyes-one.png photo through-the-lens.png photo eye-contact.png photo portfolio-6.png

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

TO THE WONDER





Vintage lucite and wicker cuff I found in Mobile, Alabama






{Shirt}Asos, {Leather Skirt}via Grey Dog Vintage, {Shoes}Zara, {Bracelet}via Cotton City Antiques,
{Eye Wear}Urban Outfitters

On a recent day trip, I visited the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve in Pawhuska and experienced one of the most inspiring days of my life.  It is truly a place of wonder with beautiful tall grass that seems to dance in the wind, colorful wildflowers as far as the eye can see and if you are lucky, a view of Bison.  I’m regretful to say I’ve lived here in Oklahoma for three years now and this was my first pilgrimage to the prairie.
                
Several local friends had told me about the tall grass prairie but I became enamored with it when I saw Terrence Malick’s “To the Wonder”.   The images of the prairie splashed upon the movie screen were so beautiful and moving I knew I had to make it there soon.  So, my friend, and local photographer, Jamie Alsabrook and I headed out there on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  When we arrived to the prairie we were in complete awe of the beauty of the land.  We continued to make our way further in when we came over the hill and to our amazement there were a group of several hundred Bison roaming about.  Because it was the end of spring, we were able to see baby bison frolicking through the fields.  It was truly one of the most memorable experiences I’ve been fortunate to have.  To see God’s beauty and watch bison in their natural habitat of freedom and innocence was incredibly moving.  We spent a couple of hours just watching them play, rest and then migrate as the sun began to set.  As we drove back, I reflected on the afternoon and just how meaningful it was to me.  Sometimes if we pay attention, there’s beauty to behold even in our backyard.


Photography by Jamie Alsabrook
Location: Tall Grass Prairie Preserve in Pawhuska, OK

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by fabulous k | logo design by paper rachel